Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Drew's First Haircut

The little man was already getting a little shaggy, so it was time for his first trip to the barber!! It ended up being a funny story. Being new to town, I didn't really know where to take him for the big first haircut. The guy who cuts my hair now doesn't cut children's hair, so I was at a loss for where to go. I called a friend, but she didn't have any recomendations either. So, when all else fails, try Pro Cuts, right? Wrong!

We walked in and it just felt like the Wal-Mart of haircutting places. It wasn't at all what I wanted for our first haircut experience. I asked for the person who would do the best with an 8 month old, and no one really jumped at the opportunity. They walked us back and then noticed that Drew wasn't wearing shoes (I forgot to put any on him in our rush out the door). The lady told me that Texas Cosmetology required shoes to be worn because hair could get embedded in the skin and cause infection. Sounded strange to me, but whatever. I went out to the car to see if there might be a pair of shoes laying around somewhere so we wouldn't have to pack up and go all the way home and come back. There weren't any shoes to be found.

So, we packed up and went back home to get shoes. The whole way, I was wishing that I could find somewhere else to take my precious little boy for his first haircut. We got home, I ran in to grab some shoes, and we hit the road again. On the way back, I remembered a little salon close to Andrew's office, so I headed that direction. It was called "A New You". We didn't have an appointment, but I walked in anyway and asked if anyone there was good with little boy haircuts. Sure enough, this wonderful man Mr. Larry was available and did a wonderful job with Drew's first haircut!

Drew sat still the whole time. He seemed really curious and kind of in shock at the whole experience. I don't think he knew what in the world I was having done to him, but since he was sitting on my lap the whole time, I guess he figured it was all ok. Another one of the stylists who didn't have a customer served as our photographer. Everyone in the place got a big kick out of the haircut. It was great fun!!

Oh, and when I told Mr. Larry about the shoe story, he said that was crazy! They probably didn't want to do the haircut, so they were looking for a way out of it. Fine by us! We'll take Mr. Larry from now on!


No comments: